Friday 2 September 2011

MADE’s Warhol Dress – In Progress


One of the blogs I really like is MADE.  She always has the cutest projects and a really aesthetically pleasing look.  One of the projects she made was called the Warhol dress.  I thought it was quite cute and she posted a tutorial for it found here. 
So I decided to give it a whirl.  Not too complicated.  Pattern provided.  Easy sewing project.  And it could have been.  Didn’t turn out that way.  Thus the Warhol dress is “in progress.” 

She recommended that you could just get a large man’s shirt and repurpose it into this dress.  Using the existing hem of the dress, one less step.  I’m all for that.  Well, the color shirt that Hailey liked wasn’t quite big enough.  If I try this again, I’ll make sure to get an extra large.  So, I had to adjust my plan.  And in the end I like how it turned out.  The shirt we bought was green, and I was going to use some brown knit I had in my stash for a contrasting band around the neck.  So I just reversed it.  Brown dress with green band.  Cute.
One problem that I encounter a lot when sewing for Hailey, is that she’s not nearly as excited about the prospect of getting new clothes as I am.  She never wants to try anything on.  Sometimes I wonder why she’s not very girly, and then I remember that I also wasn’t very girly as a young child.  Sorry Mom.  And I tend to sew a lot in the evening when she’s not available to try it on anyway.  So I sewed up the dress.  And being too lazy to walk up the stairs from the basement to consult the tutorial, made the sleeve openings a little too big.  Oops.  Well, still not having tried it on her, I moved on to embellishment.

I’d seen this book called doodlestitching with really cute embroidery. And I’d been wanting to try something, so thought that the dress would be a good place to do it.  And apparently no amount of embroidery is too much.  I just keep thinking, oh it would be cute if I added something here, or put another flower there.  What if I stitched something all the way around the hemline?
And somewhere in there I finally tried it on my child.  Way too big.  She was drowning in it.  Ughh.  I’d already embroidered around the band that I would have to take off and reposition to make it smaller.  Grrr.  On another day this would have stopped that project completely for a month or so before I came back to it.  When projects get hard or boring, I tend to bail.  I have lots of projects “in progress.”  But I wanted her to wear it on Sunday, so I was forced to carry on. 

In the end I didn’t have to take out any of the embroidery and I just have to sew that down and I’ll be almost right back to were I was.  Not too bad.  So this is where I’m at.  I’ll share the finished product hopefully by Monday.  And we can see how much more embellishing I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment